Friday, March 02, 2007

Mid-life crisis? No Says Amitabh Bachchan

Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan insists that his roles in two new films in which he falls in love with women significantly younger than himself are not indications of a mid-life crisis.

The gray-haired star, 64, has taken on a number of Casanova-type roles to keep his acting fresh and get away from being typecast as a father figure, Bachchan said in an interview published on Friday.

``Well, variety is the spice of life. I was getting a little tired of playing the patriarch in all my films,'' he told.``I realized that if I continue to do it then it would be the end of me as an actor.''

In his latest movie ``Nishabd,'' Bachchan plays an aging romantic attracted to his teenage daughter's friend. In ``Cheeni Kum,'' to be released later this year, he plays a chef who falls in love with a woman whose father is younger than himself.

Bachchan - who, in real life, is happily married to actress-turned politician Jaya Bachchan - has played the role of the father figure in many of his recent movies.

He says both upcoming movies deal with genuine emotion and he hoped that his fans will understand that.

``I'm sure once they see the film, the audience will understand the honest and genuine feelings of my character in the films rather than focus on just sex and sexuality.''

No comments: